Monday, July 12, 2010

DIY toys

Picture Puzzle 
This is something I tried while playing with Vihaan. He is a 6 year old with mild autism. He loves drawing and draws very well.

I did one version which were cut-outs of greeting card paper. I made houses, roads, trees and people. And later on his request a plane and a dog. He added a traffic signal. 
He found this fun cause he could move the pieces around. And add to the existing pieces.

He asked if he could play with the 'puzzle'(its the name he gave it) again and so I made another version and added a little complexity to it.
I made many more pieces - animals, vegetables, fish, a pond, sun, moon and stars etc..
I made these out of white chart paper and added simple details like faces.


Sensory Play
There are many household objects that can be used in sensory play. 
Torches (visual) 
Food grains in a shaker (tactile, sound, smell)
Balloons and Streamers
Water


The Sensory Processing Disorder website has comprehensive list of activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment